The Daily Post queries
If you could wake up tomorrow and be fluent in any language you don’t currently speak, which would it be? Why? What’s the first thing you do with your new linguistic skills?
Yes, with the exception of licking chairs, I feel much like Wanda does when hearing most languages spoken.
So – If I could wake up tomorrow and speak any language fluently I’d choose… THEM ALL – and if that wasn’t possible, I’d settle for instant knowledge of Russian and Welsh. Why? Who knows! I’ve always loved languages – learning them, hearing them, speaking them -all of it appeals to me…and I’ve been trying to teach myself Russian for a bit. I love Russian – it’s such a beautiful language. I cannot tell you why – but something about it strikes a chord in soul. And anyway, does there have to be a logical answer as to why anything appeals to us? I think not.
Second in line is Welsh – I’m intrigued with its spelling. My favorite name is Llewellyn – and I’m sure I’m not even pronouncing it in any way, shape or form correctly. That ‘ll’ has some sort of mysterious sound that eludes me at this juncture of my life. However, this is a language I’ve come across in written form rather than hearing it. And there’s my justification…
So – what would I do if I woke up with this instant knowledge or Russian and/or Welsh? Why – speak to people of course. Duh. I’d find and foist myself upon any unsuspecting person that I thought might speak it. Which is what I’ve done with all the languages that I’ve learned (just a smattering of at this point, except ASL – which was once fluent, now? Not so much). That’s the deal with languages – you have to use them else you forget (unless it’s one that you learned when you were young – it seems to stick in the craw in a more permanent manner if you learned it as a babe-in-arms).
My most embarrassing moment was when I was trying to teach myself Russian and I tried it out on a waitress (from Russia)…and instead of thanking her I told her “good bye” – she probably thought I was crazy 🙂 Which I am.
And that’s it ~
Do you have a favorite language? Do you speak more than one? Come on – give it up!
- Daily Post: Take That, Rosetta! | Basically Beyond Basic
- Istanbul – çok pahalı çok güzel | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Let’s talk in verse | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Teachable Moments Are The Last Refuge Of Tyrants | The Jittery Goat
- Concrete Navy | Exploratorius
- Daily Prompt: Take That Rosetta | Incidents of a Dysfunctional Spraffer
- Lovely language of love and lust – Daily Prompt | alienorajt
- Cat Tongues are rough | Purple Rosemary
- Daily Prompt: Take That, Rosetta! | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Post: Take That, Rosetta! | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- Screaming in Unheard Tongues | 365 days of defiance